Translate

Monday 25 November 2013

Me?!? A REAL writer?!?

So I was asked to write an article for a women's health and fitness magazine, very exciting and a little terrifying! But what do you think my automatic reaction was? I'm not capable!! I have ZERO formal training, all I really have is a burning passion for what I wish to share with the world. That's it. I didn't even do well in high school English because my teacher had said I wrote with TOO MUCH emotion!! Self-doubt sank in quickly. Could I even see myself doing well enough to pass the "audition" and get a REAL position as a writer? I'm a nurse for crying out loud, a nurse who spends her free time writing and researching, learning and growing, who has been deeply passionate about health and fitness science for many years but I have a thousand reasons why I am not worthy!! Don't we all?? But when I stop and really THINK about it, where am I most happy? It's always been when I'm writing. Funny, I used to love writing so much. I had countless journals and wrote hundreds of poems that I still keep in my basement, seen above. I even wrote a 40 page story in high school but because of ONE teacher who didn't see things the way I did and my severe dislike for following what everyone else was saying was right and sticking to the "rules" I gave up. I probably never would have even considered writing other than facebook and the occasional blog if it weren't for this one individual who saw potential and decided to give me a shot, with many others in line for the same opportunity and I was still sitting blind to what he saw, not even realizing anyone even really read or cared about my rants and statuses!
 If you combine writing with health and fitness for women I think you're pretty much marrying the things in life that make me the happiest. Something I ignored for years, stifled down because I just didn't BELIEVE in MYSELF!! I was looking for the approval of others and when I opened myself publicly for the first time I felt rejected and stupid. And through this continued self- doubt and talking with some amazing friends I realized there was obviously something that caught someone's eye that left an impression while others fought for the chance I was offered. Others with training and talent. I don't know how it's going to work out but I can tell you this. I have chosen to believe this individual. I live with passion and emotion and a very deep desire to help and share with others. I have ALWAYS wanted to tell my story to the world and have never really hesitated in doing so. I have no shame. I have a story, like everyone, and I believe it's my purpose to share with others so that I can help even ONE person see their own potential. And suddenly I feel this old desire creeping back into me again as I ALLOW myself to BELIEVE that maybe...just MAYBE this is possible. It won't stop here, I already know that, even if it turns out no one else at the magazine agrees with my "potential". I might not have the education and fine tuned skills but I have NEVER lacked the passion, the heart and the determination to grow, learn and improve beyond what I ever thought possible. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment